Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Have your Camera to hand at All Times!

Of course, one of the first rules of photojournalism is always having a camera to hand. I did have an excuse on Sunday as I was trying to do my first 10 mile bike ride for many weeks and was flying along the cycle path. I had my cycling camel bak rucksack with a three litre reservoir of water and drinking tube. Inside were a spare inner tube, pump, tyre levers, multi-tool and a few other things. What I didn't have was a camera and, yes, you have guessed it a great photo opportunity arose. Some distance ahead, I saw a mother and daughter with two dogs on leashes. They were misbehaving - the dogs, not the mother and daughter! As I got closer, I realised they were walking two billie goats. No camera, no shot and I was so disappointed. I am sure it would have used by a magazine. Next time, I will have my camera with me.

This episode reminds me of my worst journalistic experience some thirty years ago. I was in a phone box on the harbourside at Brixham in Devon. I was reading my story over to the copy taker at the local paper. When I finished, I turned round and stepped outside. The place was crowded. Someone said to me, "Did you get the photo?" "What of?", I asked. Evidently, an armed stowaway had been disarmed on a tanker moored in Torbay. He had been brought ashore by Pilot Boat surrounded by armed policemen - right next to the phone box. Now, that was a picture that would have sold . . . The moral of the story was: "If you are phoning in copy from a phone box, look over your shoulder occasionally. Oh, and the important story I was phoning over? It was a report on a jumble sale that had raised almost £3. Groan!

5 comments:

Pencil Sanity said...

I can so relate to missing the shot. I recently had the opportunity to photograph a bald eagle in flight, diving down toward the river and I was too darn slow and shaky to get the shot. GRRRR He was right in front of me.

Laurie said...

Thank you, Maria. I can imagine how you felt! I once had a Harris Hawk (much less impressive than a Bald Eagle)swoop down in front of me, grabbing a pigeon as it went by, and perch on a branch six feet away. I had my camera with me, expecting to photograph some orchids I had seen, but also had my Jack Russell, Bert on a lead.

Bert went berserk and pulled like mad. You couldn't blame him! I grabbed twenty or so shots as best I could considering I had a small monster yanking at my hand before deciding to go home - some three-quarters of a mile away - and get my big camera, a Canon with a 400mm lenses. Returning without Bert, I found the hawk still there and was able to get some decent closeups. The shots taken with Bert in tow were all blurred - and the moral of this story was 'don't take a dog for a walk when you are going to take photographs - the two don't mix . . .
Laurie

judith ellis said...

Nice...

Laurie said...

Thanks, Judith - Welcome. My next posts are not too far away. I am recounting my experiences interviewing some pretty well know public figures in Britain, but the success of my other blog has taken up quite a bit of time . . .
Laurie

方大同Khalil said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.